|Blocked Chimney Pipe|
|By HFD Social Media Team|
|March 31, 2022|
On Wednesday evening, the HFD was dispatched to a reported chimney fire at a residence located off of Marlorville Road. HFD units arrived on scene within 4 minutes to find a homeowner removing the pipe from the top of a wood burning stove. The house was full of smoke and the chimney pipe was occluded causing it to overheat and preventing the wood burning stove from ventilating into the chimney. Firefighters removed the burning contents from within the stove, and moved the unit outside of the structure with no further incident. Firefighters inspected the chimney from the roof ensuring nothing was burning in the chimney.
As the home heating season winds down, the HFD reminds residents to have their chimneys, fireplaces, and vents inspected at least once a year for soundness, freedom from deposits, and correct clearances. Cleaning, maintenance, and repairs should be done, if necessary.
The HFD responded with Asst Chief 45-2, District Captain 45-7, Engine 45-11, Ladder Truck 45-46, and Engine-Tanker 45-31. New Hackensack FD responded under pre-planned mutual aid with Engine 52-12.